Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Rainbow whiskers
08-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Rainbow whiskers
Ok so the title is extremely misleading, but with all the new traits coming out I can't help but want to know how do guys/gals do it?? Undecided Huh

I noticed more often than not it's the experienced breeders with the Aby DC's, oddyfrazzwave, etc.

Do you pull them from collectibles or just starters from the the kitty cat store?

How long does it take and what are the odds of getting the latest and greatest w/o having to buy them?

Thanks in Advance for all replies Heart
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2014, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2014 08:13 AM by Ivy Norsk.)
RE: Rainbow whiskers
Okay, I'll take a very quick pass at this and others can elaborate.

First off, there is absolutely no difference - in terms of breeding new traits - between a starter from the store or a collectible (which also comes from the store, but then often gets resold through the markets). A collectible is just a starter with a fancy costume. That being the case, people would rather often have the pretty costume: that is the basic mechanism for how new starters are constantly fed onto the grid. *

There is another thread on the board (which I'll try to link back to, or somebody else can) in which Fabio Mr. Cat, asserts that with his data, approximately 81% of cats released at a given time carry no new traits. I am fuzzy on the specifics, so a good look at that thread would give you the best answer on that.

The reason the experienced breeders are the ones who can pull recessive traits the most quickly is because they already HAVE recessive cats. So they can breed a starter with a cat that Already has Dreamy whiskers, and if the kitten comes back with Dreamy whiskers, they know immediately that the kitten holds Dreamy or better. And so they know to concentrate on breeding for whiskers on that particular kitten. For other people, breeding with Mysterious whiskers against a starter, they will keep getting Mysterious whiskers back on the kitten and may not realize that that particular kitten is worth paying attention to and back breeding and sibling breeding, etc. They may give up on that cat, the recessive whisker may stay buried and so forth.

The hardest question to answer is how long does it take, and I'm sure many people can weigh in on that.

*Quick edit to add: It matters which collectible you buy. If a collectible is in a box it will carry the traits that were available at the time of its release date. So a very old collectible, while very valuable for its costume, will only contain very old traits. In terms of new traits, you would want a very recent collectible, which at this time is the Easter 2014 collection.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
08-28-2014, 09:11 AM
There are three classification of BREEDABLE trait values:

* retired. You can NOT get these from ANY starter, normal or new Special Collection. The exception is the next classification ...

* special collection. These are traits introduced by a Special Collection. At one time, it would be some time (if ever), before that trait value might appear from a normal starter; some come out at the same time as the collection, but can appear in normal starters as well (this seems to have become the norm in the past couple of years).

* normal. These are traits which any starter, normal or special collection, might carry.

Traits are fixed when a kitten box first appears in-world or in the Cattery. For offspring, this fact is immaterial .. their traits are determined by their parents. For starters, however, it effects which traits they might be hiding.

First, they select their hidden traits from the CURRENT selection available to ALL starters AT THAT MOMENT.

Next, ONLY if they are a Special Collection starter, checks determines if they can carry the special traits for THAT collection.

If, that check succeeds, the hidden trait is replaced with a random choice from the collection's selection. (Usually there is only one, so the kitten has no alternative.)

The side effect of this process is, if the Special Collection cat were to randomly select a deeply recessive, but normal, trait value, and the collection traits are more dominant, the kitten may not get the special trait. As far as rules-application goes, this side effect is NOT detectable. .. you can never know or prove it even happened. It can be important to odds determination, though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-28-2014, 09:53 AM
I can add to this don't give up on your starters if the eyes and fur are not really what you expected them to be or disappointing there are 7 trait slots left which may be interesting enough to hang in there.

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

08-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Oh, one other thing: if you are buying collectibles for new trait discovery and breeding, DO NOT BUY the special babies. The special babies are valuable only for their costumes and underneath that they suffer from having a high proportion of pure Genesis traits, which is the natural result of having a starter (showing all Gen traits) mate with another starter (that shows all Gen traits). This occurred to me when I realized that your thread title was "Rainbow Whiskers" which is, of course, the type of whisker shown on the Flower and Showers special baby.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
08-28-2014, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2014 05:09 PM by ZahKira Quinnell.)
(08-28-2014 08:07 AM)Ivy Norsk Wrote:  Okay, I'll take a very quick pass at this and others can elaborate.

First off, there is absolutely no difference - in terms of breeding new traits - between a starter from the store or a collectible (which also comes from the store, but then often gets resold through the markets). A collectible is just a starter with a fancy costume. That being the case, people would rather often have the pretty costume: that is the basic mechanism for how new starters are constantly fed onto the grid. *

There is another thread on the board (which I'll try to link back to, or somebody else can) in which Fabio Mr. Cat, asserts that with his data, approximately 81% of cats released at a given time carry no new traits. I am fuzzy on the specifics, so a good look at that thread would give you the best answer on that.

The reason the experienced breeders are the ones who can pull recessive traits the most quickly is because they already HAVE recessive cats. So they can breed a starter with a cat that Already has Dreamy whiskers, and if the kitten comes back with Dreamy whiskers, they know immediately that the kitten holds Dreamy or better. And so they know to concentrate on breeding for whiskers on that particular kitten. For other people, breeding with Mysterious whiskers against a starter, they will keep getting Mysterious whiskers back on the kitten and may not realize that that particular kitten is worth paying attention to and back breeding and sibling breeding, etc. They may give up on that cat, the recessive whisker may stay buried and so forth.

The hardest question to answer is how long does it take, and I'm sure many people can weigh in on that.

*Quick edit to add: It matters which collectible you buy. If a collectible is in a box it will carry the traits that were available at the time of its release date. So a very old collectible, while very valuable for its costume, will only contain very old traits. In terms of new traits, you would want a very recent collectible, which at this time is the Easter 2014 collection.

Lol I didn't even know there was a such thing as rainbow whiskers, I just wanted to grab breeders' attention Tongue I just unboxed a baby to back breed because I sure was getting white(mysterious) thanks for the advice Ivy Smile

(08-28-2014 09:53 AM)Kayleigh McMillan Wrote:  I can add to this don't give up on your starters if the eyes and fur are not really what you expected them to be or disappointing there are 7 trait slots left which may be interesting enough to hang in there.

You hit the nail on the head! I recently got a american shorthair tawny tabby(bluh) w/ lame eyes that I was going to menagerie but all signs seem to point to keeping so I definitely will give it a shot thanks Kay
(08-28-2014 09:11 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  There are three classification of BREEDABLE trait values:

* retired. You can NOT get these from ANY starter, normal or new Special Collection. The exception is the next classification ...

* special collection. These are traits introduced by a Special Collection. At one time, it would be some time (if ever), before that trait value might appear from a normal starter; some come out at the same time as the collection, but can appear in normal starters as well (this seems to have become the norm in the past couple of years).

* normal. These are traits which any starter, normal or special collection, might carry.

Traits are fixed when a kitten box first appears in-world or in the Cattery. For offspring, this fact is immaterial .. their traits are determined by their parents. For starters, however, it effects which traits they might be hiding.

First, they select their hidden traits from the CURRENT selection available to ALL starters AT THAT MOMENT.

Next, ONLY if they are a Special Collection starter, checks determines if they can carry the special traits for THAT collection.

If, that check succeeds, the hidden trait is replaced with a random choice from the collection's selection. (Usually there is only one, so the kitten has no alternative.)

The side effect of this process is, if the Special Collection cat were to randomly select a deeply recessive, but normal, trait value, and the collection traits are more dominant, the kitten may not get the special trait. As far as rules-application goes, this side effect is NOT detectable. .. you can never know or prove it even happened. It can be important to odds determination, though.

Thanks for always being so informative Tad I love the Build-aCat page too btw Smile
08-29-2014, 11:14 AM
(08-28-2014 05:01 PM)ZahKira Quinnell Wrote:  You hit the nail on the head! I recently got a american shorthair tawny tabby(bluh) w/ lame eyes that I was going to menagerie but all signs seem to point to keeping so I definitely will give it a shot thanks Kay

You're welcome! :-)
I am so glad to hear this Smile

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

08-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Oh! Lame Eyes. Iwanna for my Grumpy CatS collection!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)