Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Persians or Himalayans?
03-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Persians or Himalayans?
When I was growing up, my cats were always the long haired breeds: Persians and Himalayans. Is there any chance that we might see some long hairs in KittyCatS sometime? Is this something that would be difficult from a programming or artistic perspective? I would LOVE to get some KittyCatS that remind me of the furbabies I had as a child.Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2015, 04:45 PM
RE: Persians or Himalayans?

That would entail some kind of major overhaul, next gen KittyCatS style.

Perhaps a mesh injection of some sort beyond my comprehension!

The current KittyCatS template just doesn't have the chassis for it,

unless somebody knows a magic trick!

You ever seen a Maine Coon in here?

Kinda like a shaved down rendition, since all these guys are

pretty much just a nice paintjob on the same basic catshape.

A furball upgrade would be very cool!

Bring it on!

[Image: DERKITTEHMILLlogosmallest.jpg]

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nykus/54/231/24/

Soylent Green is KitteH!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Breedable Traits, other than Shade, require no programming (per se, it's possible KC has to do some tweaking occasionally, I'd think that highly unlikely). Size (non-breedable) would require some work in-world and might necessitate changes to the web site.

Ears and Tails require 3D modelling to create new sculpt maps. This has some implications and limitations, because they can't be mesh without a major redesign on how the 3D models appear from boxes, docks, and cats when changing prim mode. They also may require new portions of all existing fur trait values, but that may be avoidable with careful modelling (which I'd say they do).

Fur. Eyes, Whiskers require only 2D graphic arts producing a flat image. Fur is probably baked from the models. Eyes and Whiskers are probably simply free-hand work.

Shade, as always, is problematic. It probably requires in-world scripting changes; which would mean an Updater would probably be required.

As to 'long hair' .. remember .. it has to work on a 2D image. There are tricks which can be done to create the illusion of depth and texture, but this may be limited by the small image size and the need to bake it from a 3D model to a 2D image.
03-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Oh..I guess I was imagining something like the way they make hair for human avatars, with movement and so on...but I see how that could be difficult on a limited chassis
03-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Oh..I guess I was imagining something like the way they make hair for human avatars, with movement and so on...but I see how that could be difficult on a limited chassis
03-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Yeah. Have you ever looked at the prim counts for really nice hair? I've seen rigged/flexi hybrids, which look phenomenal, running over 200 prims. You can get away with that because attachment prim counts don't directly count against the region limit (they do count, sorta, but, for all intents and purposes, except at events like RFL, which are huge draws, we don't need worry about it).
03-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Good point! I know that mesh has improved things for hair, and sculpties for objects, but I see how long hair might add prims to kitties. Well, whoever figures out how to do it will probably make a bundle of Lindens, LOL. The "first mover advantage"! Wish I knew how to do it, but oh well...gotta wait for someone more clever. :-)

Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: Oselkhandro_Resident]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)